M3A1 Scout Car, General George S. Patton (standing in vehicle): US Army
First created by the White Motor Company in 1938. It was based on a commercial truck chassis.3 Was designed for high speed scouting and called the T7.1
It was standardized in June 1939 as the M3 scout car.1
Had a roller mounted in front of the bumper to help it not bog down in soft ground.3 Armored shutters protected the radiator and could be opened and closed by the passenger as there was a lever by their right foot.
The windshield is made of shatter proof glass and an armor plate of 0.5" could be swung down into place and had slots for vision.
The fenders in the front were made from heavy sheet metal. The hood could be opened on each side. The battery was on the right side and had an armored cover.
On the outsider was placed an ax, a shovel, and a pick. There was storage over each rear fender that carried ammunition, tools, and spare parts. Doors had hinged upper halves that folded down with vision slots that had covers. The rear was a solid armor plate with no door.
A standard military taillight was installed on the left and on the right were blackout lights. Fuel was under driver's seat.
MGs were on skate rail around interior body and could be removed and placed on tripod mounts.
There was a SCR506, 508, or 510 radio set with the antenna base in the center of the rear section.