The LVT (A)(1) had a M3 light tank turret mounted.1,2 There were periscopes for the crew to see out.1
The engine was installed between the crew and the cargo compartment in the rear.1
When exiting the vehicle the passengers would have to go over the side as there were no doors in the back.1
The 37 mm gun fired a 1.9 lb shell at a muzzle velocity of 2,900'/sec.4 Gun used a gyrostabilizer.1
The Marines would replaced the 37 mm gun with the E7 flamethrower.
The LVT (A)(1) had "manholes" at rear with .30 cal machine guns installed.4 These were quite dangerous and were later removed.4
First used at ROI-Namur in January 1943.3 75 were used.3
Many of these were used at Bougainville and New Georgia.