The Kaiyo was converted from the O.S.K. luxury liner Argentina Maru. It was originally being used as a troop transport from December 1941 until it was taken over to be converted to a carrier in December 1942.
The original diesel engines were replaced by destroyer turbines. The funnels were downward facing off starboard.
The flight deck was flush. There were two elevators in the flight deck.
There was a single hangar.