The Cockatrice was designed for airfield defense by the Lagonda Company in 1940.
Bedford used riveted construction on Cockatrice's body.
The Cockatrice's chassis was built from Bedford QL 4x4s.
The driver and the engine were at the front.
The flame thrower was mounted on the roof in a small turret. The flame thrower used 8 gallons / 36.4 liters of fuel per minute. The range of the flame thrower was about 300' / 91.4 m.
At the rear of the Cockatrice was a position for twin Vickers K guns.