The Panzerjäger became operational in 1940 and was the first self propelled anti tank gun in the Heer.
First saw service in France, and then in North Africa and Russia. They were deployed to anti-tank battalions of infantry divisions.
After newer vehicles replaced them on the front lines many were sent to Balkans.
There were 132 still in units in July 1941.