262 were converted from February 1943 to April 1944. Was an artillery observation vehicle converted from older model IIIs. It was used by forward artillery observers for the self-propelled howitzer batteries of Panzer divisions. Early models received additional 30 mm armored plates. The ball MG in the hull was replaced by a pistol port. A dummy gun barrel was placed where the coaxial MG was located and a MG was placed where the gun used to be. A retractable TBF-2 observation periscope was installed and could be closed by an armored cover. A 2 m "star" antenna for a FuG 8 was installed over the engine compartment. In 1943 some had the 50 mm KwK 39 L/60 gun installed.