Specifications for the Jagdpanzer IV originated in 1942 calling for a heavy assault gun with 100 mm armor.5 It was to replace the Sturmgeschütz in the tank destroyer role as it couldn't be upgunned.3 Initially it was to be armed with the 7.5 cm Pak 42 L/70 but the Panthers had priority and the 7.5 cm L/48 gun was used.3
Guderian was against the project as it took away from the PzKpfw IV tanks. In June 1944 Hitler ordered production of the PzKpfw IV should be abandoned to concentrate on the Jagdpanzer IV.5
The crews of the Jagdpanzer IV liked the thick armor and low silhouette.3,10
The chassis chosen to be used was the one used for the PzKpfw IV.3
Because of the long barrel gun it caused the Jagdpanzer IV to be nose heavy.3 The resulted in the front wheels being steel ringed instead of rubber.3
A wooden model, made by Vomag Betriebs of Plauen/Vogtland, was shown to Hitler on May 14, 1943 and a soft steel model was presented to Hitler in September 19435/ October 19433.9 The final prototype was made in December 1943.
Jagdpanzer IV chassis: 1,5318
Stug Pzkpfw IV: 7692,5, 26 chassis2
Production: January 1944 - November 19442,5
Manufacturer: Vomag2, Alkett
Jagdpanzer IV: 769
Manufacturer: Krupp, Demag (in association with Alkett) M.I.A.G.6
Jagdpanzer IV mit 7.5 cm Stuk 42:
Jagdpanzer IV/70(V): 900, 9302,5
Production: August 1944 - March 19452,5
Jagdpanzer IV/70(A): 2782,5, 300
Production: 1944 - 19458, August 1944 - March 19452,5
Manufacturer: Alkett11, Nibelungenwerke2,5
Production: December 1943 - March 194510
Sturmgeschütz neuer Art mit 7.5 cm PaK L/48 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen IV (SdKfz 162):
Jagdpanzer IV, SdKfz 162: Due to delays in getting the L/70 gun fitted, Vomag was asked to start production with the 7.5 cm KwK 40 L/48 gun.5
Entered production in January 1944.5 The armor was supplied by Witkowiter Bergbau un Eisenhütten. The gun was made by Rheinmetall-Borsig and Seitz of Kreuznach.
Early vehicles had muzzle brake, but as the gun was only 1.4 m / 4' 7" above the ground a lot of dust was kicked up when fired, they were later deleted.5
Had Schürzen and Zimmerit anti-magnetic mine paste installed at the factory.5 The 75 mm gun was offset 200 mm / 8" to the right of center.5
Were issued to tank hunter detachments of Panzer divisions from March 1944. They were first used by the Hermann Göring Division in Italy, then with the 4th and 5th Panzer Divisions in Russia, and then with the Panzerlehr, 9th Panzer, and 12th SS Panzer Divisions in France.
Jagdpanzer IV Ausf F. (7.5cm Pak 39 L/48) SdKfz 162; Panzerjäger 39: Was to have the 7.5 cm StuK 42 L/70 but production delays forced the use of the 7.5cm Pak 39 L/48.8 Later models had no muzzle brake.8
Jagdpanzer IV/70(V); Panzerjäger IV für 7.5 cm StuK 42 L/70 (SdKfz 162/1); 7.5 cm Stu. K. 42 L/70 auf Panzerjäger IV, SdKfz 1626; Panzer IV/70 SdKfz 162/1; Jagdpanzer IV mit 7.5cm StuK 42 L/70: Built by Vomag.4 A prototype with the longer L/70 gun was introduced in May 1944. The gun was made by Gustloff of Weimar and Skoda.
Entered service in August 1944. Sometimes nicknamed "Guderian's Chicken." The longer gun made the tank nose heavy so the front wheels had to be made steel as it was wearing out the rubber quickly. Late models were to have a Vorsatz P mount for use with the MP44 with a curved barrel attachment.
The front 3/4 of the vehicle was the crew compartment and the rear section contained the engine.5 The was mounted 200 mm (8") to the right of center, and had no muzzle brake.5,8 The gun overhung the front by 2.58 m (8' 6"), and made the vehicle nose heavy.5 The buffer and recuperator mechanisms had to be located above the barrel so that it would fit.5
Some vehicles constructed in early 1945 were built on the Panzer III/IV chassis and had 3 return rollers.5,8
The 105th and 106th Independent Panzer Brigades were issued them in August 19445. 137 were used in the Ardennes offensive in December 1944.
Jagdpanzer IV/70(A); Panzer IV/70 Zwischenlösung: Built by Alkett.4
Mounted the 7.5cm StuK 42 L/70.5 Built on the PzKpfw IV Ausf J chassis.5
The difference was that at the rear there was a vertical section in the superstructure instead of being sloped.5 It was nose heavy and had the first 4 sets of bogies fitted with steel rimmed wheels.
Most were used on eastern front as replacements.