Panzerspähwagen SdKfz 221 armored car: Aberdeen Tank Museum
Panzerspähwagen SdKfz 221 mit 2.8 cm armored car6: Bundesarchiv, Koblenz
Panzerspähwagen SdKfz 221 armored car:
A replacement for the Kfz 13 and Kfz 14 was developed by Eisenwerk Weserhütte of Bad Oeynhausen and was to be used for reconnaissance.7
The chassis was made from a standard Auto-Union Horch 801 (heavy car) chassis with an armored body and turret.4
The SdKfz 221's chassis was built by Auto-Union in Zwickau and they were assembled by F. Schichau of Elbing and Maschinenfabrik Niedersachsen in Hannover-Linden.
The engine was placed in the rear.4,7
All four wheels were steered when turning.4
The armor was rolled and welded at an angle. The early models had visions ports cut from the rolled plates, and these were simplified by making cast vision ports.
Had a seven sided turret, sometimes with a grenade netting over the top.3
Panzerspähwagen SdKfz 221: 3392, 340
Production: 1935 - ?, 1935 - May 19402, 19373
Manufacturer: Horch3, Weserhütte2
SdKfz 260, SdKfz 261: 4932
Production: November 1940 - April 19432
Manufacturer: Weserhütte2, Ritscher2
Leichter Panzerspähwagen SdKfz 221: Had machine gun.7
Leichter Panzerspähwagen SdKfz 221 mit 2.8cm Panzerbüchse 41; 2.8cm sPzB 41 auf SdKfz 221; SdKfz 221 mit 2.8cm: In 1942 a 28 mm sPzB41 was put in a modified turret.5,7 Was issued to Panzerspähwagen squadrons of the Aufklärungs detachments of light, Panzer, and motorized infantry divisions. Crew of two and weighed 4.5 tons.6
Kleine Panzerfunkwagen SdKfz 260: These were designed to provide mobility and armor protection for signals units. These were later replaced by the half-track series of radio vehicles. Had medium range radio with a rod aerial.4,5,7
Kleine Panzerfunkwagen SdKfz 261: Had longer range radio with a collapsible frame aerial.4,7
Were issued to the signals troops at headquarters level of the regiments, brigades, and divisions of the panzer troops. First came into service in the spring of 1941.